It was a simple smile.
A simple wave of thanks.
A lovely song that could save the day.
You were busy working late till ”all hours”.
The waitress, at the deli, had your order right and ready.
“Oh, there is a higher power
Thanks so kindly for making my day.
I appreciate your service.”
You could not know
that the five dollar tip
You gave did not mean
as much as the smile
in your eyes or
the curve to your lips.
The single mother waitress had not been
thinking clearly for quite a while.
She was tired, and lonely and very depressed.
You came in a hurry, smartly dressed.
She was afraid you would yell or vent.
She never expected your smile or thanks.
You will never know what it meant.
Her heart was low and discontent.
She was going to
stop by the bridge or her way home.
But, because of your thanks
and simple smile…she never went.
She decided to stay
on the planet for a little while longer.
She rushed home to thank her mother
for sitting with the kids.
She gave her your five dollars….
with a smile that could not be hid.
She felt so much better
and a little stronger.
We never know whose lives we touch.
We never can know when a smile
can mean so very much.
We never know behind whose eyes is hiding ~ the beloved.
- Want to Live Longer? Try Smiling More (bellasugar.com)
- Woman Leaves ‘Single Mom Sorry’ Tip on $138 Bill (5newsonline.com)
- Woman leaves ‘single mom sorry’ tip on $138 bill (kfor.com)
- What goes around comes around !! (chaalu.wordpress.com)
- Day 2: Smile (ephiriel.wordpress.com)
- Smile, Inspire, Be Grateful. Looking forward to 2013 (artbythesea.wordpress.com)
- Augusta artist uses ‘Happy Campaign’ to create smiles (chronicle.augusta.com)